Honors & Awards
Our Commitment to Excellence in Medical Education
The department has developed and maintained a standard of excellence in the education of medical students and residents. That high standard is reflected in the following honors and awards accorded to the department and individual members and residents.
- For five consecutive years, 1991-1995, the department was recognized as the Most Outstanding Clinical Science Department by the graduating fourth year medical students. The department also received this award in 2002, 2003, and 2007.
- In 1990, 1991, 1999, 2000, and 2007 faculty members received the Hippocratic Award, which is a singular honor presented by the graduating class to the faculty member who best exemplifies the ideals of the medical profession.
- In 1992, 1993 and 1994, two members of our faculty were recognized as theOutstanding Clinical Science Instructor by the graduating class.
- In 1990, 1995, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, and 2009, three different members of our faculty were recognized as Clinical Science Teacher of the Year by a vote of all students in the College of Medicine.
- In 2005 and 2010, a member of the faculty received the received the Society of Teaching Scholars Award for Sustained Excellence in Medical Education. This award is presented to a faculty member who has received the College of Medicine Teacher of the Year Award or the Senior Class Teacher of the Year Award on multiple occasions.
- In 1995, a member of the faculty was recognized as the University of Florida Teacher-Scholar of the Year. This is the most prestigious teaching award given by the University and has only twice before been received by a member of the College of Medicine.
- In 1999, one member of the faculty received the Robert Glaser Distinguished Teacher Award from the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. This is a national award presented annually to only two basic science teachers and two clinical science teachers. Two members of the department have been selected for membership in the College of Medicine’s Society of Teaching Scholars.
- Three members of the faculty received the Exemplary Teachers Award in 2003. A fourth faculty member was recognized in 2004. Two additional faculty members were recognized in 2005 and 2006 and three in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010.
- In 2003, 2004, 2007, and 2009, a resident in the department was recognized by the graduating class of students as the Resident Teacher of the Year.
- In 2008 a member of the faculty received the Society of Teaching Scholars Hippocratic Scholar Award. This award is presented to a faculty member who has received the Hippocratic Award on three occasions.
- In 2010 a member of our faculty received the Society of Teaching Scholars Lifetime Achievement Award for his outstanding contributions to medical student education.
- We encourage our residents to perfect their skills as both clinicians and educators and to continue the respected traditions established by their predecessors and mentors.