|1958||Harry Prystowsky becomes the first chairperson of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Florida College of Medicine. He is the youngest Chair of a medical school department in the United States at 33 years old.
The delivery suite and obstetrics floor opens.
|1959||Dr. Prystowsky hires Dr. Hugh Hill as the department’s first faculty member.
The first residency class joins the department. The inaugural residents were Jullian Cotter, Wayne Heine, George Letchworth, John Paterson, Vincent Stenger, and Charles Stump.
|1966||In collaboration with the state health department in Jacksonville, the department established the Maternity and Infant Care Project (MIC) project in the 13 counties of north Florida.|
|1967||Mrs. Cordelia Scaife May of Ligonier, Pennsylvania endows UF’s first professorship to the chair of reproductive biology and medicine. The professorship was named after the then university president, J. Wayne Reitz.|
|1968||The first female resident, Orene Schoenfeld, graduates from the residency program.|